Delicious fresh tamarind with nothing else but sugar, and a little bit of complementing spices and some salt, it’s got a tart and sweet flavor and goes really well as a pie filling or toasted bread slices.
- 400g tamarind pods (sweet is specified, regular tamarind is better if you like more of a sour flavor, says the original)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or maple syrup for a more subtle sweetness
- 1 tsp cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon cardamon
- peel the tamarind, place in a pot over low/medium fire, add water and sugar, cardamon and ground clove.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until bubbles slow, and the form gradually reduces
- If needed, add a little bit more water for consistency.
- once jam thickens, remove from the heat and transfer to a
- Strainer to remove the seeds, then transfer into the mason jar/s and seal immediately.
- let it chill to room temperature
Pantry’s Tip: Jam can be refrigerated and stored for up to 6 weeks