This simple comfort food is not only vegan but perfect during winter nights, the buttery texture and the saffron umami makes it all cozy. I’m ready for seconds 🙂 My aunt Sylvia taught me how to make this, and ever since has been my personal favorite rice. The secret is finding the right saffron and all you need is less than two pinch (s). Well worth the price
- 2 pinches good quality saffron threads
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 1 medium brown onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups white basmati rice (gluten-free)
- 3 3/4 cups seaweed stock, or substitute with water + extra pinch of salt
- 1 tsp salt
- Take one pinch and mix in hot water, and let it soak, take the second pinch and grind into a powder and set aside.
- prepare the rice, by firstly sauteing the onions with the oil, once softened add the rice, and salt and the saffron liquid, fill the pan with the stock or water ( depending on the cups of rice you use.
- bring the water to a boil, and reduce heat and let it simmer for 8 – 15 minutes, until rice is tender,
- remove from heat and sprinkle the 2nd powdered pinch of saffron.